Saturday 18 October 2008

Old cards

A day of children squabbling, rain showers and a trip to the local mall for lunch. I managed some stitching on the ABC cards, but nothing finished to show, so.....

Here are some I did earlier - more than 2 years ago, the theme was leaves. It is all fused in the Melody Johnson method (she can do no wrong IMHO) - basically you fuse miles of wonder-under to miles of fabric, remove the backing then cut directly from the fabric. I like the method a lot, though don't use it too much. All that fusing makes me a bit nutso (OK, a bit more than normal!)
The leaves etc are fused to felt, I wanted a really solid black ground, then some FME and more wonder-under on the back. With a wavy rotary blade cut and then fused onto card - I love the way they look like postage stamps. I fiddled with the composition so that the cards would fit the leaves theme.
Making cards en-mass this way solves a lot of waste and gives you a good run at the whole piece rather than working on tiny bits, but there are design logistics so that all the cards are usable. I do prefer this way. I think.

3 comments:

Kate North said...

ooh, I have one of those - the middle right hand one. I love it :) Nice to know something about how you did it.

Dawn C said...

I really love these cards, should make something like this again.

sunflowerkat said...

It never occured to me to make a large single image and cut it apart like that. Very, very cool. I love these cards, BTW.

Katherine
Art2Mail Exchange #54

http://inmydreamssfk.blogspot.com/

Free Blog Counter