Thursday 16 October 2008

Anything but cotton


For the last 4+ years at least I've been using 'disposable' colour catchers, I use them till they look filthy dirty or yummy bright - then stash them in a shoebox, always hoping that I could use them for something. I've also been getting the RK Alliston Catalogues. So squint your eyes and look at the landscape -


First I tore the 'cloth' into strips, it kind of has a grain, but kind of doesn't and tears along it's own line of weakness, I tried to make a blurry, misty landscapey, RKA inspired card. The theme is 'anything but cotton' so I tacked the strips to some fused fabric that is used for hospital gowns, as a foundation using a glue stick - then seed stitched it in the slubby linen thread - I have 5 colours of thread though 2 blues are very similar - these cops of yarn must be nearly 20 years old.


This one I managed to stitch and finish off, using my favourite edging, a Rowan wool and 100% polyester thread in the sewing machine - quite pleased with it to say the least, misty, autumnal and atmospheric. Mmmm....
I got a real buzz earlier to see that JCP had commented on my cat cards..... whoohoo! I check her blog with a bizarre frequency that it's almost a religion, but to think she read my post is a real kick. I need to photograph the cat cards in natural light - not possible today, will try again tomorrow. There will be pilgrimage to the PTT early next week with all these cards...

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

I LOVE IT!!

Elias Thalassis said...

Good morning from Greece Halkida

Pam said...

wow - these are great! PP

deb poole aka The Barefoot Quilter said...

I was lucky enough receive this card. I have been petting it and wondering what fiber you used. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Free Blog Counter