Monday 13 October 2008

Crocs

In the spring, we caused a minor sales increase here with 4 pairs of Crocs between 2 littles. They love them, I am ambivalent - they are easier to get on than sneakers. What makes them happy makes me happy. Until now.....
A couple of weekend back I was in a high-end shopping mall with T1 and T2, yellow boy got his foot caught in the escalator, T1 got off OK whilst I lifted him and released his foot from the shoe. The escalator didn't stop Mr Otis. I saw no blood on his foot, he didn't seem to be in pain, just surprised. I managed to hit the emergency stop button, a security type ambled over and handed me the mangled shoe and ambled off. T2's nail was a bit gnarled - though it could have been like that before - he thought it was great fun walking through the shopping centre with no shoes - T1 decided to join him, he kept repeating the story. Anyone spot us? yabanci with 2 shoeless kids? We were the cause of great consternation.


Slowly my relaxed attitude changed - Do escalators have an 'emergency stop feature' or would it have kept on grinding till something really got mangled?
I know where the management office so I went and asked them - also why no one asked to check out T2's foot (they do have a 'triage' room there) The guys I spoke to were sympathetic, offering to replace the shoes - yes they did - and offering us dinner in one of the restaurants - we don't like that restaurant so we didn't.
When I went to claim the cash Tolga Bey told me we were the 3rd such incident in this mall since it opened just a year ago - nearly to the day. I don't know the details of the others - but beware - folks in Crocs - folks on escalators - folks visiting crocs...

2 comments:

Kate North said...

hmm, interesting. my kids live in crocs (or rather, generic croc like shoes) in the summer, but not usually when we go anywhere that would involve major escalator travel (if we go up to town, it's trainers all around) - but good to know to beware!

Barb's Blurbs said...

Oh, my! I have heard of these stories but still don't understand how the kiddos get their feet caught! How scary for you! I love my crocs; in fact that is all I wear! I had the opportunity (and took it sometimes) this last weekend to use an escalator both up and down with no problems. I wonder if the treads on the bottom of the kid size crocs are small enough for them to get caught? Perhaps standing at right angles or even 'duck' or 'pigeon' footed would help?

Free Blog Counter