Tuesday 26 August 2008

Haberdashery



I had to go to Nisantasi today, which is next to the textile area - Osmanbey. I only needed 2 pale pink zips, but couldn't find them near home - so off to my favourite haberdashers it was. This is a sliver of a shop, it must be a maximum of 3 meters wide, it's long and tall ceilings - it's stuffed with stuff, stuff and more stuff. The 3 guys at the end of the shop were making a huge quantity of covered buttons with a 'machine'.


The shop spills outside and there are 2 adjoining shops in a covered passage - they all sell slightly different things, along the street are a lot of very similar but slightly different shops. I once had the chance to go into the 'store' for this shop, it was totally amazing, yes they did have the pink fur trim, but SO much more. All the small boxes have beads and sequins in - they have nearly everything - as long as you can explain it, gesture it or draw it, they'll try their best to find it.
Failing that they'll send you to another shop that they think does have what you need, they are truly fabulous. I wish they were closer, it takes about an hour to get there.

3 comments:

Noel said...

WOW...this place is amazing...I would have just stood there with my mouth wide open not knowing where to begin...hehehe!!
I love the tassles, the trims and everything all around!
Thanks for sharing the pictures for the rest of us to drool over..LOL!

Kate North said...

wow, what a treasure. I was going to say I wish I had that shop near me, but perhaps it's a good thing I don't...

WayMooreFunQuilting said...

This reminds me of the garment district in downtown Los Angeles, Calif. I used to go there regularly while attending college. My major was clothing construction/design and this was our place of inspiration. It looks as though you have founds yours as well!

Free Blog Counter