Sunday 14 September 2008

Istanbul Modern - Kilic Ali Pasha


I finally got to the Istanbul Modern Gallery today, it's in what seems to be an old warehouse, and surrounded by other warehouses. It has a rather beautiful clock tower and the most fantastic views. It's not so big, just 2 floors, but beautifully laid out with some interesting exhibits. I've been reading about Bedri Rahmi Eyüboğlu - a self portrait was on display, that met my exact visual for him - kind of weird as I recognised him before I read the label. There were quite a few video installations, baby was quite taken by them, the view from the cafe is quite stunning - quintessentially Istanbul - though getting a table there today was like hen's teeth. No pictures, next time though.

We had an explore around the area, I got some fabulous pictures, though I need to figure out exactly what I found. It's not in our guide books, though the 'best' one is 12 years old. Figure we need a new one.

One thing that knocks Americans out is the 'age' of Europe, this mosque is really quite stunning, the picture is of the back, not the usual angle. It was built by Sinan, between 1580 and 1587. I need to figure out how to get inside it, I was there at prayer time so it was a no go anyway. Downside to the area - rats with wings - lots of pigeons - yukk...

No comments:

Free Blog Counter