Monday 29 September 2008

Ikea Mosque - T1 Skirt

OK, so there isn't a mosque at Ikea, but at the Ikea exit from the motorway they have been building a mosque. Most 'new' mosques here are quite square with domed roofs, and perhaps smaller domes as well. They all have the minaret and outside area. This one has piqued my interest as the entire mosque is the dome - I found the road to the site, it's structurally finished and now being clad with white marble. Being a Sunday there were just 2 workers on site. What I didn't realise was that the structure wasn't one dome but 2 quarters of different size spheres. I guess the gap will be filled with glass, there is a obvious alignment to Mecca, I wonder how this will work in the rain water filled area of the courtyard. The 'tables' (proper word anyone?) for funerals are quite neat too. I'm really quite impressed by the architecture, and will keep my eye on the media - there was no board up saying the name of the mosque or architect. I saw this new Istanbul mosque in the media too.




Now the fun part - this is the security guy from the neighbouring compound, coming to tell me it was 'forbidden' - what exactly was forbidden I didn't hang around to find out!

T1 chose the fabric and ribbon for the lazy days skirt - she likes pink - it's a super easy pattern. She can wear this to school, no worries (plus I have another meter of the fabric) I did however slightly change the elastication, using some adjustable elastic and a button.

No comments:

Free Blog Counter