Friday 27 May 2011

Stunningly Ugly





When I lived in a previous life. I bought this quilt - I bought 2 quilts, the 'better' one never made it to New York - mysteriously eaten by the USPS on it's way from Florida - this one had a lot of promise.

Kind of funky and bright in a Gees Bend type of way - slightly pre-dating Gees Bend too.... I waited for this baby to arrive with great anticipation. Like many things in life it looked fantastic, had a great review but was a total let down. I have honoured it by using it in the garden for tents, sunbathing and being a pic-nik blanket. This is a great honour believe me - it in turn has turned out to be indestructible.

I am not quite sure what 'cotton' it's made from - but there seems to be both a lot of polyester in it or jersey - though I guess the stretch terry might struggle to make it to 50% cotton...... The bat is made from tapioca - it's lumpy and non-descript. I do quite like tapioca but that's what this beauty looks like from the back. It's self bound, in a fashion - a regular shape might have been achievable - but it didn't happen.

I do slightly like the corner in the detail. Whilst none of the corners seem to meet, there is a profusion of cobbling (as in cobbling together) it's various block sizes add to the chaos..... I often wonder if there was a plan involved in this quilt - or if it just happened.

For some strange reason, each time I get it out I want to make a copy - not an exact copy - I do some strange things but that would be over the limit - but a kind of 'in the spirit of' type.

2 comments:

www.welovequilting.com said...

I love quilts like these. The old Gees Bend look. I live in the same state the ladies live in. I had the opportunity to see them a few years ago and talk to them.

I used to be in your postcard group. I hope all is well.
Chris Wheeler
SadieMaesAttic@aol.com

Polly Hope said...

Happy Christmas Dawn X Hope you have a great time with the kids. No card from me this year - haven't had time to make and can't bring myself to buy... next year!! Got yours X

Free Blog Counter